Saturday, May 4, 2013

MY GREATEST INTERNET FIND


Original Gelatin dry plate negative; 17.78 x 12.70 cm. (7 x 5 in.) held at L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Used by permission.
                                                  
A few years ago, I was looking for information about my maternal great grandfather, Lott Powell. I was delighted to stumble upon the most precious picture of his two oldest children including my grandmother, Edna Powell and her younger brother, James Lott Powell. My grandmother was described in part as, “A small girl with short curly hair...” I consider this photo to be my most prized internet find and maybe my most prized genealogy find ever.   

I was once asked how I knew the photo was of my grandmother.  Well, there are three pretty important clues that point to it being Grandma:                      
Copy of Photo in possession of author

  1.  The picture was listed under their father’s name Lott Powell. We won’t get too picky that the site misspelled his name as Lot in one spelling.  This photo is obviously tied to my maternal great grandfather.
  2.  The coloring of the two children fit that of Lott's oldest children Edna and James.
  3.  Even though she was just a little girl, a girl knows her grandmother.  Just look at this photo of my adult grandma. This is the grandma that I knew and loved and who knew and loved me back. 

Try telling me the girl in the photo is not the person who grew up to be Grandma and you'll be in for a fight.



 1. Harold B. Lee Library http://lib.byu.edu/digital/Call Number SS P-1 # 10728 Title : Lot Powell Photographer: Anderson, George Edward, 1860-1928 Publisher Digital: L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University Owning Institution: Brigham Young University Identifier: MSS_P_1_10728.jp2  http://lib.byu.edu/

2 comments:

  1. That photo is definitely a wonderful internet find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marla,

    I want to let you know that your blog is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2013/05/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-may-24-2013.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Add Comment